Tuesday, May 5, 2009

ISHFAQ KEY CONTENDER FOR PLAYER OF THE YEAR


ABID KHAN

Srinagar, Apr 27: Mohun Bagan football club winger Ishfaq Ahmad has emerged as the key contender for the mid-fielder of the year in the I-League.
 The 2008-09 football season came to end with the super-cup tie between Federation Cup winners, Mohun Bagan and I-league winners Churchill Brothers at Tau Devi Lal Stadium in Gurgaon on Sunday. Mohun Bagan won the match by 2-1.
 A Super Cup is played between the winners of the top division and the Federation Cup every year at the end of the I-League. 
 The All India Football Federation honors the best in each category of goalkeeper, defender, mid-fielder, striker and coach.
 Every coach in the I-League is asked to send his three choices for each slot and the top of the picks are then honored with awards.
 Four names for mid-field have been nominated by AIFF, which includes Kalu Nnanna of Churchill Brothers, Kalia Kulothungan of Mumbai FC, Marcos Pereira and Ishfaq Ahmed of Mohun Bagan.
 Ishfaq has emerged as the key contender to get the award after his name was included by the International football website, Goal.Com, in the team of the season. Apart from that website has also included his name in the key contenders for the mid-fielder of year award.
 Website writes in praise of Ishfaq: “The former Dempo man has rediscovered himself at Mohun Bagan this season. He was lively on the left hand side of midfield throughout the season and played a big part in Bagan’s second place finish. Like Anthony he would be looking to score more goals next season but will certainly be happy with his performance this season.”
 Speaking to Greater Kashmir over phone from Gurgoan, Ishfaq said, “It is great honor to be nominated among the best mid-fielders of the year. This year I have worked really hard on my fitness, due to which I was able to give my best for the team.”
 “To be nominated is already big achievement but if I get the award then it will be biggest achievement of my playing career” he said.
 About the name in the team of the season by Goal.Com, international footballer said, “I think my performance has impressed the experts of the website and it will go on my side in the run up to awards.”
 Ishfaq is regarded by many as India’s fastest footballer. 
  “With the ball, I somehow automatically start running when I get the ball, it comes naturally to me, it is a kind of God’s gift and what happens when I run at pace, it helps to create space for my strikers and my midfield as well. I get more power with the ball. However, I am a little bit slow without the ball, which is what I have to improve upon. I do run off ball but not as fast as I do with the ball.”
 Among the other awards Odafa Okolie is the favorite to win the best striker and player award apart from the Golden Boot, which he shall receive for the third straight season.
 For the goalkeeper, Mohun Bagan’s Sangram Mukherjee leads the pack having played a key role in the club’s record 10 match unbeaten streak.
 Churchill Brothers Gouramangi Singh is the unanimous choice for the best defender. Mohun Bagan’s Karim Bencherifa and Churchill Brothers’ Zoran Djordjevic are the likely candidates for the best coach award.
Last season, Odafa Okolie bagged two awards with the Golden Boot and best player trophies. Dempo’s Mahesh Gawli and Climax Lawrence alongwith their club coach Armando Colaco won the awards in the defender, midfielder and the coach categories.

published in Greater kashmir on april 28-2009 link http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=28_4_2009&ItemID=4&cat=4


No comments: