Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Abid Nabi refutes JKCA president’s allegations


‘I never ran away from camp, injury forced me to leave’


Srinagar, Apr 22: A week after J&K Cricket Association (JKCA) president, Dr Farooq Abdullah, said that pacer Abid Nabi had run away from a coaching camp in Chennai some years ago, the bowler on Wednesday denied the allegations.
 “I’m at loss to understand why after years, JKCA accused me of running away from the camp. Why did they remain silent that time,” Abid asked.
 He said that he had to return from the camp due to stress fracture.
 “I was in MRF Pace Academy, Chennai for four month stint in 2004-05. But after undergoing training for one and half month, I got injured and had to return back. I went to SK Institute of Medical Sciences, Soura where doctors diagnosed stress fracture in my both shinbones. I was advised complete bed rest for two months,” he revealed.
 Abid said that JKCA authorities knew it. 
 Dr Farooq last week during a press conference, while replying to a question that JKCA wasn’t doing enough to promote local players at national level replied that state players don’t tolerate rigorous training methods at national level. He quoted example of Abid Nabi.
 “I don’t blame JKCA president as he doesn’t know anything about it. Some vested interests have misled him,” he said.
 About his association with Indian Cricket League (ICL), he said, “I got a chance to show my talent in ICL. I did it both for monetary benefits as well as for my career. But subsequently JKCA banned me “
 “ICL gave me recognition at national level. After the latest allegation, people called me and I had to explain what was the matter,” he said.
 About playing for home team in Ranji trophy, he said, “ I’m always ready to serve my state and whenever they will call me I’ll be available.”

published in Greater kashmir on April 23 -2009 link http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=23_4_2009&ItemID=7&cat=4

No comments: