Sunday, March 22, 2009

Wadoo Distances Himself From Bollywood Film

East Bengal star Mehrajuddin Wadoo has distanced himself from the Bollywood movie 'Sikander', insisting that the story portrayed in that film is in no way related to his life.

22-Mar-2009 11:19:57 AM

Mehrajuddin Wadoo, East Bengal, India (Photo: www.mohanraj.net)
Photo Gallery
Zoom
Mehrajuddin Wadoo, East Bengal, India (Photo: www.mohanraj.net)

Related Links

Teams

Bollywood director Piyush Jha had earlier said that the movie is inspired by the success of Wadoo, who currently features for the Kolkata giants East Bengal. Even Wadoo was quoted as saying that the movie was indeed based on his own life.

But the Indian international footballer now says that‘Sikander’ is not based on his life. He said, “The story of the movie has nothing to do with my life. Neither the writer nor the director has talked to me regarding it.

“He (Piyush) requested me to be part of the promotion campaign of the film that is scheduled to be released on March 27. But I told him that I’m busy with the matches and moreover I also don’t know anything about the story.

“Afterwards I contacted people in the media and film industry to get information about the story of the movie. But I was shocked when I heard the story, which is a typical Bollywood masala film and has nothing to do with my life.”

Wadoo added that he had called the director on Thursday and had categorically told him that he has nothing to with the film.  

“He told me to come to Mumbai where a joint press conference will be held in which all issues will be cleared. I asked him to give me clarification statements in the two newspapers of Kolkata and J&K to which he readily agreed. I also asked the director to give me a clearance letter in which it would be written that I have nothing to do with this movie.”

The international football star said that if the movie is projected as his journey to the Indian national football team then people would think that he is a militant-turned-football player.

“The movie is a story about a young boy who has a dream to play football for the national team. One day he finds a gun on his way to school and he joins the militant ranks later. They have twisted the story by mentioning that the parents of the boy have been killed by militants.”

Wadoo said that his journey from the valley football fields to the Indian national team is totally different.

“My parents are alive and my father was also a footballer. I started playing football at young age. The movie is the result of the creativity of the writer and nothing else.”

Wadoo said that if the matter is not cleared quickly, then it could affect his playing career as well as his family in the Valley.

Abid Khan  

For all the latest Goal.com news at your fingertips, point your mobile phone browser tom.goal.com, Goal.com's very own mobile news service!


Published in GOAL.COM ON MAR 22 -2009 link : http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/136/india/2009/03/22/1168666/wadoo-distances-himself-from-bollywood-film

No comments: